Thursday, November 5, 2009

Christmas Stockings Homemade

. These are felt Christmas stockings I made several years ago for my children.
I used an iron on transfer for my inspiration for our son Harrison's. I used a piece of a rubber band to make the sling shot in his back pocket. He has always like guns so there is a hand gun charm dangling near his name. You may click on the pictures to zoom in for detail.
I used another iron on transfer for my inspiration for our daughter Victoria's stocking. She had long blonde hair and wore it in braids often, so I braided embroidery thread to make her braids.
Her braids are loose and can be picked up and held. I used multicolored embroidery floss, then made a braided rug near the bed. Her interests were cats, hearts, skates and bikes, so those were the charms I added to hers.
Our daughter Jessica's was actually the first one I made, and it was made from a kit, which I borrowed from my friend Susan.
Some of Jessica's favorite things at the time I stitched her stocking were ballet, bunnies hearts and journals. I added a ballet slipper charm, a cute old rabbit and the heart journal that opens with a hinge.
I got my inspiration for making felt stockings from two sources. The first was from my mother. My mother used this pattern and made the large green and white stockings for the four of us children. I always loved my stocking and the fact that my mother made it.
My second inspiration came from my friend Susan. These were Susan's stockings which she made and allowed me to borrow and use her patterns. I thought her's were so cute. I was amazed at her talent and ability to make all six of hers, even, with a new baby. I'm grateful she let me borrow her idea. The upper right corner shows her version of the one I made Jessica.
My dilemma has been that for the past six years our son Garrett, who will be turning seven this year, has had to use this store bought stocking. I have simply not had time to sew one for him. Now that I am not homeschooling anymore, I have the time.
I'm working on this for Garrett. He loves snowmen, gingerbread men, and gingerbread houses. So I made up my own pattern and this is how far I come with it.
I printed off pictures of gingerbread houses for inspiration to create one for him.
I bought some little charms to dangle from the stocking when finished. I love the miniature cookie cutters.
I hope you've enjoyed my show and tell for today. I'm looking forward to showing Garrett's completed stocking later. Have a lovely day ladies. Kathi
"My salvation and my honor depend on God; He is my mighty Rock, my refuge. Trust in Him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to Him, for God is our refuge." Psalm 62:7-8